Early in 1974, Samuel Gould, of South Yarmouth, put out
the first call, via the Dennis-Yarmouth Council on
Aging Bulletin, to anyone who might be interested in
playing duplicate bridge at the Senior Center. The
response was greater than his highest hopes, and a
meeting of some of the interested senior citizens was
held at the Gould home. Tentative officers were
selected and the D-Y Senior Citizens Duplicate Bridge
club was born.
An application for a franchise was approved by the
American Contract Bridge League on May 8, 1974, and the
club became a full-fledged member of this important
organization in the contract bridge world.
The first official Annual Meeting of the Club was held
at a luncheon on October 28, 1974, at the Country Inn
The name of the Club shall be the D-Y Senior
Citizens Duplicate Bridge Club.
The purpose of the Club shall be to encourage,
promote, and strive for excellence in competitive
Duplicate Bridge and, relatedly, to foster good
fellowship and sportsmanship among members of the
- [Effective July 1, 2012] Membership in the Club
(Club Membership) shall be open to anyone.
- Applications for Club Membership shall be
subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
- The Club Membership Fee shall be established by
the Board of Directors, except that there shall be
no Fee for members who were 90 years of age or
older at the start of the membership year.
- The playing fee for each session shall be
established by the Board of Directors.
- A Club Membership may be revoked by the Board
of Directors for cause.
- Upon expiration or revocation of any Club
Membership for any reason, the former member shall
have no claim for or against any funds or
properties of the Club.
- [Amended June 26, 2014] The Officers of the Club shall be a President,
Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
- Officers shall be elected at the Annual Meeting
of the Club for a term of one year (from the next
July 1st to the following June 30th). No person
shall at one time hold more than one elective
- In the event of a vacancy in any office, the
President shall appoint a successor subject to the
approval of the Board or Directors. If there is
neither a President nor a Vice-President, the Board
shall vote successors to both offices.
- The President shall
- preside at all meetings of the Club and the
Board of Directors.
- have general oversight of all affairs of
the Club, subject to the control of the Board
- appoint all committees and designate the
- be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- appoint the Club Manager.
- The Vice-President shall, in the absence of the
President, assume all powers and perform all duties
of the President.
- The Treasurer shall
- receive and have custody or all funds of
- ensure that all valid obligations are
- present a statement of accounts at each
regular meeting of the Board of Directors.
- ensure that all required tax forms and
financial reports are prepared and filed.
- [Amended June 26, 2014] The Secretary shall record and
present the Minutes of all meetings, and shall, at the
direction of the President, handle all
correspondence relating to the Club's affairs.
- [Deleted June 26, 2014]
Board of Directors
- [Amended June 26, 2014] The Board of Directors shall consist of the
Officers and at least two (2) elected non-Officer
- Club members wishing to serve as Officers
or Board Members should have an email account,
but an accommodation will be arranged when that
is not possible.
- The Board of Directors shall exercise all
powers of the Club.
- The immediate past-President of the Club shall
be an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors
for one (1) year, replacing the previous
past-President. All past-Presidents should be
available to serve in an advisory capacity as
requested by the Board of Directors.
- The fiscal year of the Club shall be
coterminous with the term of office of the Officers
of the Club.
- The Club's books of account shall be reviewed
at least once each fiscal year by a person (other
than the Treasurer) chosen by the Board of
- All funds and properties of the Club shall be
used for the benefit of the Club or the Friends of
the Yarmouth Council on Aging.
- Club checks may be signed only by the Treasurer
or the Club Manager.
- Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be
held at the call of either the President or of any
two Members of the Board.
- In order to keep meetings of the Board
focused and brief, Members are strongly urged
to discuss all proposed agenda items and
related issues on the dydirectors mailing list
before the meeting. This will allow much more
time for detailed exploration and debate.
- [Amended June 1, 2015] The Annual Meeting
of the Club shall be held on the first Thrusday in June of each
- [Amended June 1, 2015] A quorum shall
consist of 15% of the current Club Membership.
- In the event of a vacancy on the Board of
Directors, the President shall appoint a successor
subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
The Club Manager shall
- perform all tasks associated with the
Club's relationship to the ACBL.
- select and schedule the game director(s).
- inventory and order supplies.
- sign checks when necessary.
- ensure that the Club's computer and
software are in working order.
- ensure that the Club's web site is
Amendments to these By-Laws may be made at any
meeting of the Club at which a quorum is present by
affirmative vote of two-thirds of the Club members
present and voting.[Amended June 1, 2015]